Nurses and midwives are in high demand across Australia, and can apply for visas allowing migration to Australia under the general skilled program using visa subclass 189, 190, or 489.
In common with all general skilled visa applications nurses and midwives must secure a positive migration skills assessment before they can progress a skilled visa application with the Department of Immigration.
The body that has the authority to assess nurses and midwives for the purpose of migration to Australia is the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC).
The process of applying for a migration skills assessment will depend on whether the nurse is already an enrolled nurse, or a registered nurse, or a midwife in Australia/New Zealand:
- If yes, you can apply to ANMAC for a modified migration skills assessment, when you do not have to confirm your English language competency.
- If no, you must apply to ANMAC for a full migration skills assessment. Such applicants must confirm they have English language competencies at a suitable level before applying for a migration skills assessment. This is usually demonstrated through an IELTS test, which must be the Academic version of the test.
Nursing occupations that can migrate to Australia are:
- Nurse Practitioner (ANZSCO code 254411)
- Midwife (254111)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
- Registered Nurse (Child and Family Health) (254413)
- Registered Nurse (Community Health) (254414)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
- Registered Nurse (Development Disability) (254416)
- Registered Nurse (Disability and Rehabilitation) (254417)
- Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
- Registered Nurse (Medical Pratice) (254421)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
- Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
- Registered Nurse (Surgical) (254424)
- Registered Nurse not elsewhere classified (254499)
- Enrolled Nurse (411411)
- Nursing Clinical Director (134212)
To work in Australia nurses need to be registered by the nursing regulatory body, the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency, or AHPRA.
GM Skilled brings together the knowledge and experience from Go Matilda Visas in the area of Australian visa strategy.
We are the preferred solution for nurses and midwives who want to move to Australia: as a firm of migration advisors we have been helping nurses and midwives move to Australia since 2001.
We have offices in Australia and the UK – and our systems are integrated, which means we can communicate easily with you and can follow up any issues arising on your behalf in Australia.
We work with our clients on the basis of a wish to have a long term relationship based on our expertise, trust and a quality service.
Our fees are fixed in amount, are agreed up front, and are payable in stages.
If you are a nurse or a midwife, want to give yourself the best chance of securing a positive Australian visa outcome, and would like to discuss your options please contact your nearest GM Skilled office or complete the form on this page for a free initial discussion.
After we have spoken we can send a no obligation fixed fee proposal to you.
We look forward to hearing from you.