ANZSCO Code: 272111
Provides individuals and groups with information about career choices and assists individuals with self-development.
ANZSCO Code: 2721
COUNSELLORS provide information on vocational, relationship, social and educational difficulties and issues, and work with people to help them to identify and define their emotional issues through therapies such as cognitive behaviour therapy, interpersonal therapy and other talking therapies.
- working with clients on career, study and employment options by obtaining and examining information relevant to their abilities and needs
- providing information and resources to assist clients with job-seeking skills
- assessing client needs in relation to treatment for drug and alcohol abuse
- conducting counselling interviews with individuals, couples and family groups
- assisting the understanding and adjustment of attitudes, expectations and behaviour to develop more effective interpersonal and marital relationships
- presenting alternative approaches and discussing potential for attitude and behaviour change
- consulting with clients to develop rehabilitation plans taking account of vocational and social needs
- contributing information, understanding and advice on the learning and behaviour of students, especially those with special needs, and assisting parents and teachers in dealing with these needs
- may work in a call centre