ANZSCO Code: 234211
Studies the chemical and physical properties of substances, and develops and monitors chemical processes and production.
- Analytical Chemist
- Industrial Chemist
Group: CHEMISTS, AND FOOD AND WINE SCIENTISTS
ANZSCO Code: 2342
CHEMISTS, AND FOOD AND WINE SCIENTISTS study the chemical and physical properties of substances, develop and monitor chemical processes and production, develop new and improve existing food products, and plan and coordinate the production of wine and spirits.
- conducting experiments and tests to identify the chemical composition and reactive properties of natural substances and processed materials
- analysing and conducting research to develop theories, techniques and processes, and testing the reliability of outcomes under different conditions
- developing practical applications of experimental and research findings
- testing food products for flavour, colour, taste, texture and nutritional content
- advising on preserving, processing, packaging, storing and delivering foods
- developing quality control procedures and safety standards for the manufacture of food products
- examining grape samples to assess ripeness, sugar and acid content, and determining suitability for processing
- coordinating winemaking processes, directing workers in testing and crushing grapes, fermenting juices, and fortifying, clarifying, maturing and finishing wines
- blending wines according to formulae and knowledge of winemaking techniques