JUDICIAL AND OTHER LEGAL PROFESSIONALS NEC
ANZSCO Code: 271299
This occupation group covers Judicial and Other Legal Professionals not elsewhere classified. Registration or licensing may be required.
Group: JUDICIAL AND OTHER LEGAL PROFESSIONALS
ANZSCO Code: 2712
JUDICIAL AND OTHER LEGAL PROFESSIONALS hear legal and other matters in courts and tribunals; interpret, analyse, administer and provide advice on the law; and draft legislation.
- researching statutes and previous court decisions relevant to cases
- conducting trials and hearings
- calling and questioning witnesses
- hearing and evaluating arguments and evidence in civil and criminal summary matters
- deciding penalties and sentences within statutory limits, such as fines, bonds and detention, awarding damages in civil matters, and issuing court orders
- exercising arbitral powers if resolution is not achieved or seems improbable through conciliation
- preparing settlement memoranda and obtaining signatures of parties
- advising government of legal, constitutional and parliamentary matters and drafting bills and attending committee meetings during consideration of bills
- advising clients and agents on legal and technical matters