LOCAL GOVERNMENT LEGISLATOR
ANZSCO Code: 111311
Represents the interests of people in a constituency as their elected member of a local government authority.
- Community Board Member (NZ)
ANZSCO Code: 1113
LEGISLATORS represent the interests of people in constituencies as elected members of national, state and territory parliaments and local government authorities.
- developing national, state, territory or local government policy, and formulating, amending and repealing legislation and by-laws
- helping constituents with a range of problems particularly with regard to matters concerning government and local agencies
- investigating matters of concern to the public and to particular persons and groups
- introducing proposals for government action and representing public and electoral interests
- issuing policy directions to government departments and exercising control over local government authorities
- attending community functions and meetings of local groups to provide service to the community, gauge public opinion and provide information on government plans
- may serve as a member on parliamentary committees and inquiries
- may present petitions on behalf of concerned groups