MARINE TRANSPORT PROFESSIONALS NEC
ANZSCO Code: 231299
This occupation group covers Marine Transport Professionals not elsewhere classified. Registration or licensing is required.
Group: MARINE TRANSPORT PROFESSIONALS
ANZSCO Code: 2312
MARINE TRANSPORT PROFESSIONALS control and manage the operations of ships, boats and marine equipment.
- directing fishing operations by using knowledge about the species sought, fishing areas, seasons and the capabilities of the vessel and crew
- directing crew in catching fish, molluscs and crustacea at varying depths using nets, lines, poles, pots and traps
- planning, controlling and coordinating the operational and maintenance requirements of a ship's propulsion and domestic plant and equipment
- operating plant and equipment and performing routine maintenance on ship's systems including mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, steam generating, and fire prevention and control systems
- controlling and directing shipping operations to ensure the safe and efficient loading and transport of cargo and passengers
- ensuring compliance with regulations pertaining to safety at sea and protection of the marine environment
- directing the activities of the deck crew for navigational support tasks, berthing and unberthing, maintenance, cleaning and painting of superstructures, and repair and replacement of defective deck gear and equipment
- navigating a ship by supervising the ship's course and speed according to predetermined passage plans and safety procedures
- examining and approving design plans of hulls and equipment such as main propulsion engines, auxiliary boilers and turbines, electrical power generating plant, refrigeration and airconditioning plant and pumping systems
- conducting periodic surveys throughout a ship's life to ensure standards are maintained