NUCLEAR MEDICINE TECHNOLOGIST
ANZSCO Code: 251213
Performs or assists in performing diagnostic examinations using radionuclides and radiopharmaceuticals, and administers radionuclides and radiopharmaceuticals for therapeutic purposes under the direction of specialist Medical Practitioners. Registration or licensing is required.
Group: MEDICAL IMAGING PROFESSIONALS
ANZSCO Code: 2512
MEDICAL IMAGING PROFESSIONALS operate X-ray and other radiation producing and imaging equipment for diagnostic, monitoring and treatment purposes under the direction of Radiologists and other Medical Practitioners.
- receiving referrals from Medical Practitioners to perform medical imaging and radiation treatment of patients
- determining the appropriate equipment to use, such as X-ray equipment, radiation scanners, fluoroscopes, ultrasound equipment, nuclear instrumentation, angiography equipment and computed tomography (CT) equipment, and selecting the appropriate equipment settings to provide the diagnostic information requested by Medical Practitioners
- calculating details of procedures such as length and intensity of exposure to radiation, size and strength of dosage of isotopes, and settings of recording equipment
- explaining procedures to patients and answering patients' inquiries about processes
- ensuring patients' welfare during procedures
- positioning patients, screens and equipment preparatory to procedures
- viewing the screen and deciding if images are satisfactory for diagnostic purposes, and selecting images to show Medical Practitioners
- conveying findings of procedures to Medical Practitioners