ANZSCO Code: 252411
Assesses functional limitations of people resulting from illnesses and disabilities, and provides therapy to enable people to perform their daily activities and occupations. Registration or licensing is required.
Group: OCCUPATIONAL THERAPISTS
ANZSCO Code: 2524
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPISTS assess functional limitations of people resulting from illnesses and disabilities, and provide therapy to enable people to perform their daily activities and occupations.
- assessing clients' emotional, psychological, developmental and physical capabilities using clinical observations and standardised tests
- assessing clients' functional potential in their home, leisure, work and school environments, and recommending environmental adaptations to maximise their performance
- planning and directing programs through the use of vocational, recreational, remedial, social and educational activities on an individual and group basis
- providing advice to family members, carers, employers and teachers about adapting clients' home, leisure, work and school environments
- providing adaptive equipment, such as wheel chairs and splints, to assist clients to overcome their functional limitations
- working with other Health Professionals in overall case management of clients
- working with other professionals in providing specialist advice to specific client groups such as those requiring driver rehabilitation, third-party compensation and medico-legal representation
- recording clients' progress and maintaining professional relationships in accordance with relevant legislative requirements and ethical guidelines