SPEECH PATHOLOGIST (AUS) / SPEECH LANGUAGE THERAPIST (NZ)
ANZSCO Code: 252712
Provides diagnostic assessment and management of disorders of communication and swallowing through direct intervention, education, consultancy, advocacy, or a combination of these approaches.
Group: AUDIOLOGISTS AND SPEECH PATHOLOGISTS/THERAPISTS
ANZSCO Code: 2527
AUDIOLOGISTS AND SPEECH PATHOLOGISTS/THERAPISTS provide diagnostic assessment, treatment, rehabilitative services and management of human hearing defects, and communication and swallowing impairments.
- assessing and diagnosing the extent of client hearing loss using a wide range of techniques, including audiometric tests
- reporting results of assessments and tests in writing and making referrals to medical practitioners
- recommending solutions to those with hearing impairment including amplification, implantable devices, medical interventions and assistive listening devices and providing aural rehabilitation programs
- providing counselling, advice and information to clients and families as a part of overall treatment
- assisting with the development and management of noise control and hearing conservation strategies
- administering standardised and informal tests and observing clients to determine the nature and extent of their communication disorders or swallowing difficulties
- providing treatment and management of speech, language, learning and communication disorders that may be developmental, part of a disability, or acquired as a result of injury or disease
- advising on the positioning of the body and on the textures of food and fluids which assists an individual to eat and swallow safely without choking
- providing information and education to health professionals, early childhood educators and teachers, and support and counselling to individuals affected by communication and swallowing difficulties, and to their families and carers.