PLASTIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGEON
ANZSCO Code: 253517
Performs surgery to repair and reconstruct muscle and tissue injuries and congenital deformities. Registration or licensing is required.
ANZSCO Code: 2535
SURGEONS perform surgery to correct deformities, repair injuries, prevent and treat diseases, and improve human functioning and appearance. Medical Registrars training as Surgeons are included in this unit group.
- examining patients to determine the necessity of operations, estimating and explaining risks to patients, and selecting the best operational procedures
- reviewing reports on patients' general physical condition, reactions to medications and medical histories
- consulting with Anaesthetists regarding the correct anaesthesia for patients
- performing surgical operations
- examining instruments, equipment, and surgical set-up to ensure that antiseptic and aseptic methods have been followed
- instructing other medical, nursing and associated staff regarding the preparation of patients and instrument and equipment requirements
- prescribing post-operative care, and observing and investigating patients' progress
- maintaining records of operations performed
- may specialise in particular types of operations