POTTER OR CERAMIC ARTIST
ANZSCO Code: 211412
Conceives and creates functional or artistic articles by moulding clay, glass and other fusible materials using hand-building and wheel techniques. This occupation requires high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience.
Group: VISUAL ARTS AND CRAFTS PROFESSIONALS
ANZSCO Code: 2114
VISUAL ARTS AND CRAFTS PROFESSIONALS create visual two- and three-dimensional concepts and forms through painting, drawing, carving, sculpting, modelling, printmaking, video, multimedia, found objects, ephemera, soundscapes and other media to communicate concepts and ideas.
- conceiving and developing ideas, designs and styles for paintings, drawings, pottery pieces and sculptures
- arranging objects, positioning models, and selecting landscapes and other visual forms according to chosen subject matter
- selecting artistic media, method and materials
- applying media to surfaces using appropriate techniques
- moulding clay into functional and artistic articles by wheel-throwing, moulding and hand-building
- mixing glazing materials and applying glazes to dried pottery by dipping and painting
- placing finished and decorated pieces in kilns
- sketching designs of proposed sculptures, and making wax and plaster models
- devising forms from metal using welding and metalworking equipment, and from stone using masonry tools
- carving and forming materials to desired shape using hand and power tools